Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Natural Remedies

I've been interested in natural remedies for a long time... if there's a tea or something will work instead of a drug, I'm all for it. That's not to say I won't go to the dr and take meds when needed, but still...

Anyways, I'll put some up on here when I get a chance... if I haven't already... but I have a quick question. Does anyone know any for throat problems? Other than salt water or lemon...

Basically I got a virus... lots of coughing involved. Being a virus they couldn't give me anything... and then it got worse... I couldn't stop coughing.. and when I inally did my breathing started to feel funny (not painful just odd) and painful spots in my throat... and now my cough is almost gone and doesn't hurt as much, but it feels like I swallowed somethng that's stuck in there. I know I should prob go back to the dr, but we really can't afford it right now. & I do seem to be doing better... It just hurts.

9 comments:

Jaspenelle said...

Not the tastiest recipe but this works for me. It is from Rosemary Gladstar's "Family Herbal":

Sore Throat Gargle
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup strong (triple strength) sage tea
- 2 to 3 tsp sal
- pinch of cayenne

Combine and gargle frequently throughout the day.

Here is a tea from the book as well (never tried it though)
2 parts licorice root
1 part cinnamon
1 part echinacea
1 part marsh mallow root
1/8 part ginger

Make decoction (put stuff in pan with cold water and heat slowly to a simmer. Simmer covered 20 to 45 minutes. The longer you simmer the stronger it will be of course.

You can add honey to that one and it is recommended to drink several cups a day.

~~~

Just from personal experience, straight echinacea tea from the store does a good job in healing the throat as well as keeping you well.

LittleMama said...

Try some Rosehip tea. You can usually get it a healthfood store. SOmetimes I can find it in a grocery store.

Mama Kalila said...

Thanks! I can't use the first one for sure because it has sage... I'm breastfeeding & that can dry ya up. I'll have to look up a couple ingredients on the second.. and rosehip too (if its ok I prob have that already).

Random addition, I did find otu that fenugreek helps too. I have it in my mothers milk tea, but since it can cause hypoglycemia (and I have the condition to begin with) I don't want to overdo that.

Steph said...

Honey tea. That's all. Just lots and lots and lots of honey tea. It also soothes upset tummies.

Steph said...

How are you feeling today?

Mama Kalila said...

Eh.. my newest symptom is drainage in the back of my throat that makes me sick cough to the point of getting sick (sorry tmi lol) - has lasted two days now... longer than all the others that changed in a day. & as of today I'm coughing alot again. But it does feel like it's passing if that makes sense - I don't feel worse anyway. Mostly jst annoyed.

Jaspenelle said...

Will the sage tea even affect you if it is a gargle, so you spit it out? I am nursing and I haven't noticed a change but then I same super miss overproducer. lol

Hope you are feeling better today!

Mama Kalila said...

Honestly I don't know... I haven't had a chance to do anything. I would assume it wouldn't be an issue as a gargle, but if someone had supply issues I'd recommend agianst it. I'm just paranoid about it because I went from major oversupply to a normal supply...

I'm feeling better still... just won't go away lol.

omshantihandcrafts said...

I've had a lot of luck with mullein tea (or a tincture, but that takes a while) for cough and sore throat. I tend to make it with thyme and garlic (though you're going to want to skip the thyme). I tend to shake in a little chicken bouillion to make it taste a little less awful, too.

Good luck...

Kate